No one can predict a car accident. Unfortunately, auto accidents are anything but rare on the roads of California. When the unthinkable happens, you don’t have much time to act. Taking the appropriate steps may help recover a settlement for your injuries, losses, and suffering, especially when the other driver was evidently at fault. It is also wise to consult an attorney immediately after the car accident for legal advice. Top law firms in California, such as Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP, offer a free initial consultation for clients, which can be a good option to know your case better. So, what should you do after a crash? We have enlisted the basics below.
- Stop and check around. Even if you think the accident was a minor one, pull over and check the circumstances. If it is safe, move your car to a safer place so that you don’t obstruct traffic.
- Call 911 if needed. If someone is injured, call 911 immediately. Remember that accident injuries often show up weeks later, and therefore, do not undermine the impact. Check with an injury doctor later, depending on your injuries.
- Collect information from other drivers. You need basic information about all drivers involved in the crash, such as names, license numbers, and addresses. If there were witnesses at the accident scene, note down their details.
- Get pictures. Take your phone to get pictures of the accident scene. Try to capture the damage in photos, including images of your injuries. Also, take videos to record the scene right after the crash.
- File a report. In California, you are required to report the crash to the Department of Motor Vehicles if there was death, injury, or property damage involved. Failure to do so can result in penalties, including license suspension.
Contact a car injury attorney
Don’t be fooled to assume that you can get a fair settlement from the at-fault party’s insurer on your own. Insurance companies often try a wide range of tactics to deny claims, and if the claims adjuster makes an offer, it is unlikely to cover your losses. Get a car injury attorney soon after the accident. An experienced attorney can help evaluate the worth of your case and would take the necessary steps to protect your rights. Most car accident cases are settled outside of court in California because a trial could be an expensive option for all parties involved. However, your lawyer can take appropriate action when a trial is necessary.
Call a car accident lawyer in California now!
Join the discussion on this topic with Cheap Tweet Blog by visiting our contact page
Leave a Reply